Gutter Repairs Chamblee
One of the leading causes of gutter repairs is having a clogged system. Your gutters can quickly fill with leaves and other debris which will cause the system to back up. These cogs will not allow your gutters to perform correctly and can even cause damage to the system. The easiest way to tell if your gutters are clogged is if water spills over the sides during a storm.
Cleaning Your Gutters 101
To avoid the need for many different repairs to your gutter system, it is recommended that you clean your gutters twice a year. This can be done usually in a single afternoon. While you are cleaning your gutters you can also inspect them for damage.
- 1. Clean The Downspout First. The first thing you want to do is make sure that the down spout is empty and water can flow freely out the bottom. This will help the cleaning process move quickly. A clogged downspout is something that can cause damage to the whole gutter system.
- 2. Start from the farthest point from the down spout and begin the cleaning process. You will need rubber gloves to protect your hand and possibly a trowel or other shovel like instrument to clean out debris.
- 3. Once you have all of the debris removed from your gutters, you should run water through the system. This will clean out any remaining small particles from your gutters and help you check for any leaks, cracks or other issues to your gutters.
- 4. If you have algae or mold build up in your gutters, you may want to treat these areas with special cleaners to remove this build up. If left untreated, blue algae and mold and mildew can spread to your roof and the exterior of your home.
- 5. Check all the fastenings of your gutter system to make sure that it is securely attached to your home.
If all of this sounds like a lot of work, you are right. But it is very necessary to keep your home safe from water damage. If you do not want to take care of this necessary home maintenance task, you are encouraged to speak with a contractor to have the services done for you. Keeping your gutters in good maintenance can prevent any serious harm to your home from water and ice.