How To Tell If You Need A Roof Replacement & New Roof Installation Atlanta
Your roof is one of the most important structures of your home. It protects both the interior and exterior of your home from the weather and it helps manage the temperature in your home. Keeping your roof in good repair is essential to keeping your home free from many types of problems. However, it is inevitable that at some point in time you will need to replace your roof, if you stay there long enough.
There are five things that could indicate that you may need to replace your roof instead of just making a repair.
- 1. Bare Spots On Your Shingles. Bare spots on your shingles can indicate that your shingles have reached a point where they are weather damaged. After years of direct sunlight your shingles can become brittle. The bare spots may also indicate that blue algae have attached itself to your roof. Blue algae eats asphalt as one of their food sources and damages the shingles. Bare spots prevent the shingles from being effective at protecting your home.
- 2. Missing Shingles. After a storm your roof may have missing shingles. The uncovered areas can actually prevent the roof from “doing its job.” Water can enter under the other shingles leading to water damage and potential mold infiltration.
- 3. Curling Shingles. Shingles that curl up at the edge are an indicator that the roof has aged to a point that the shingles are no longer protective. Curling shingles can lead to water, ice and high winds reaching the structure of the home and causing damage.
- 4. Buckling Shingles. When buckling occurs, a hump in the middle of the shingle, the integrity of your roof is breached. Water, ice, and debris can now lodge itself underneath the shingle leading to damage to the structure of your home.
- 5. Damaged Flashings. The flashings on your home are the areas located around skylights, chimneys, vents, and similar attachments to your roof. These attachments are often tarred over or caulked into place. Over time, the tar or caulking cracks and dries out and will allow water to seep into the surrounding roof area. This is one of the leading causes of damage to your roof.
If you believe that any of these issues are taking place on your roof, it may be time for a repair or a replacement.
It is certainly time for a free, no obligation inspection by one of our certified roofing specialists.
Roof damage can lead to very serious structural and interior damage of your home. Stopping it early will save you a lot of money and headaches.