Gutter Repairs Doraville
There are several home maintenance tasks that every homeowner should complete at least once a year. There are also several tasks that should be completed twice per year for optimal performance. One of those twice-yearly tasks includes cleaning your gutters and making and necessary repairs.
Your gutters are one of the most important features of your roofing system. They direct water flow away from the house during rainstorms and can help manage ice flow when it leaves your roof. Your gutters protect the foundation of your home from water damage and will also help keep your exterior walls cleaner and free from water damage as well.
Gutters should be cleaned of debris and rinsed thoroughly twice a year and checked for defects. Some of the damage that you may find to gutters include:
- Fasteners loose or broken. These fasteners are what attach the gutters to the roof and may dislodge due to age or weight from debris or ice buildup.
- Cracks in the seams. Cracks may occur over time due to the age of the gutters or due to jam ups of debris in the system. Cracks are often common around the connection areas,
- Broken connections. Over time or because of the materials used, gutter connections can break or become loose.
- Rust spots. Older systems can rust because the weather treatments have been removed from the material or the materials used were never properly treated. Older systems are most prone to this problem.
- Clogged downspouts. Downspouts that have not been properly cleaned can back up the entire system and cause damage.
One of the easiest ways to tell if your gutter system needs cleaning is that water flows over the edge when it rains. This indicates that the canals are full of debris or the downspout is blocked. Another thing that indicates a problem is water flowing from any area of the gutters. Your gutters should not allow any water to leave except through the down spout.
If you need to have your gutters cleaned, inspected, or repaired, you are encouraged to call a professional contractor. Your contractor can perform these tasks and make any necessary repairs in a quick and cost efficient manner.